Enhancing Spiritual Growth
The highest calling of every believer . His/her conscious act to enter into the presence of the Lord, to hear from Him, to be moved by Him, and to leave committed to Him and changed by that communication.
(Witnessing) Sharing the gospel with an unbeliever and asking that person to repent of his/her sins, trust Christ, and follow Him as Lord.– Winning the lost to Christ.
When one believer teaches and trains other believers to imitate Christ, His word, life, and deed.
A normal outcome of salvation. Meeting another person's need in the name of Jesus Christ.
The divine obligation of every believer to join a local church and to give time, energy, and resources to build the family of God there, numerically and spiritually.
Kingdom Building Principles
There are three (3) basic reasons why we insist on Bible Study (II Timothy 2:15).
1. Individual Accountability
a) Each person must give account of his/her own life to God.
b) Each person, in the final analysis, must determine what God is saying through the Bible.
2. Evangelistic Outreach
a) Persons involved in Bible Study can more readily see their need for Christ as Saviour and are better prepared for the work of the Holy Spirit that draws them to repentance and to faith in Jesus Christ.
b) Where Bible teaching precedes, evangelism has its richest fruitage; where Bible teaching follows, it has its most permanent results. The Bible is basic to evangelism. It is the record of God's revelation. It is also the record of Christ's coming and of his plan for bringing all persons to God.
a) The person that studies the Bible faithfully and models his corporate behavior by the Word of God is successful in carrying out the work of Christ.
b) Studying the Bible supports the pulpit ministry. A church is weakened when the faithful proclamation of the Word of God by the Pastor is not matched by effective teaching– learning of the Bible.
c) Overall support--"For where two or three are gathered in my name ,there am I in the midst of them." Matthew 18:20: See also, Ephesians 6:11-18.
Prayer: Communication with God
Prayer Services are the most important meetings of the church. Prayer is honest and sincere communication with God. Certainly, it is the source of power that sustains Mitchell Grove Baptist Church. Hebrews 4:16 says "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." We need strength and power from God to run the Christian race that is set before us and prayer is the key. James 5:16 tells us "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man (person) availeth much." So we encourage you to make prayer an integral part of your Christian walk. You cannot become spiritually mature without it.
Fellowship allows the body of Christ to have intimate contact and communion with God. It is also in this setting that we receive joy and encouragement to reach out and expand our individual commitments to the Lord. Note what Solomon tells us in Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he has not another to help him up." (see also: John 15:4-7; Romans 12:5 and Hebrews 10:23-25)
How to Be a Good Church Member.....
1 Thessalonians 1:5-8
Churches are made up of people! By definition a church is: A visible assembly of called out believers who have been baptized and who have covenanted together to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ!
E) Every true Christian ought to be a member of a local church!
I would like to share with you some goals & characteristics of an ideal church member!
I. CHURCH MEMBERS SHOULD BE SAVED AND SURE OF IT!
The biggest problem with Christianity today is the fact that churches all over America are filled with unregenerate church members!
They have never, ever been born again!
A) A lot of people don’t even know what it means to be born again!
* They are like Nicodemus in John 3, "How can a man be born when he is old?"
* They think just joining a church makes them right with God, but not so!
* When Jesus said, "Ye must be born again," he left no one out, there are no exemptions!
B) Listen at what the Bible says in 2 Cor. 13:5!
* "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?"
C) Not only should church members be saved, but they should be sure of it!
* 1 John 5:13 "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
II. CHURCH MEMBERS SHOULD BE BAPTIZED BIBLICALLY!
* Here’s what Jesus said about it - Matt.28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
A) Baptism is a picture of Christ’s death, burial and resurrection!
* It identifies you as who you are and who you are with!
B) Baptism is a picture of the new birth!
C) It shows to others that you are no longer the person you use to be!
D) Baptism is the first step of obedience in the Christian life!
III. CHURCH MEMBERS SHOULD ATTEND THEIR CHURCH FAITHFULLY!
* Heb. 10:25 "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”
A) When you come to church, you are obeying a command from God!
* Jesus even said in Matt.18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”
*Church is not that important to people anymore!
* So, if you want to be a good church member, attend church faithfully!
IV. CHURCH MEMBERS SHOULD BE COOPERATIVE!
* Acts 4:32 "And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.”
A) The early church was of one heart and of one soul!
* That means that the person’s whole being was one with all other believers!
B) Why is it that churches are not like this anymore?
* I’ll tell you why - It’s because people’s lives are not committed to Christ as these were!
* These people really loved Jesus and was willing to sacrifice!
* We should never be guilty of causing dissension within God’s church.
V. CHURCH MEMBERS SHOULD BE CONSISTENT!
* One of the most difficult problems a church faces is a testimony damaged by the inconsistent living of careless church members!
A) There are so many so called Christians who are wishy-washy in their living!
* They are in and out, up and down, no consistency whatsoever!
B) Look with me at 2Cor.6:14-18 and listen to the Word of God!
“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.”We should be careful about our associations, who we hang out with!<span class="WEBON_SIZE" style="font-size: 18px; line-heigh